- Founded in 1964 from the Rhodesia Missionary Conference and then the Rhodesia Christian council
- Made up of the 26 Christian denominations and 10 para-church organizations
- Founded on the shared theological understanding that God the father who created and sustains all creation, continues to save and redeem it through his Son Jesus Christ and empowers God’s people, the church, to reflect and act together for the realisation of God’s just, peaceful and abundantly providing kingdom through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Who we are
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good newsto the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor" (Luke 4:18-19)
- The Zimbabwe Council of Churches is a communion of churches which confess the triune God; God the Father through whom all things are created, the Lord Jesus Christ through whom all people and creation are saved and the Holy Spirit through whom all creation is nurtured and sanctified.
- The Zimbabwe Council of Churches unites in the ongoing renewal of the church through the proclamation of the Word of God.
- The Zimbabwe Council of Churches is united in the pursuit of a peaceful, just and cohesive society as well as the holistic wellbeing of all Zimbabweans.
- The Zimbabwe Council of Churches confesses the One, Holy, Universal, and Apostolic Church and is resolved to serve Christian unity in Zimbabwe and throughout the world.
- The Zimbabwe Council of Churches envisions a strong Christian ecumenical fellowship for a United, Peaceful, just, and prosperous nation, where all citizens experience holistic salvation.
- Within this broad scope, our specific mandate derives from the prayer of Jesus Christ in John 17:21 that “they may be one” where this vision for unity results in commitments for justice and dignified life for all generated from the vitality of the ministry of the churches.
- Our core business which is captured in our mission to facilitate the empowerment and renewal of our member churches so that they have a sustainable and transforming Christian presence in Zimbabwe.